Friday, September 24, 2010

More Memories

As I was doing the journaling on a scrapbook page about seeing a dance performance at Jacob's Pillow in the early '80s, I remembered the summer that dear daughter (DD) worked as a waitress at the Oakdale Theatre (dinner was available pre-show).  Joan Baez performed there that summer.  Generally I'm not a vocal music person, but she has always been a special favorite of mine, so DD got us tickets for the performance. 

Remembering that event, I went to play a Joan Baez CD.  Discovered that I didn't have one!!

So, public library to the rescue -- today I picked up "The Best of Joan Baez".  If I like the selections, I'll treat myself on Amazon.












Another special memory is also linked to the Oakdale that summer -- Frank Sinatra performed there & requested they provide dinner for him and his staff after the show.  DD was asked to stay late to waitress. Not only was Sinatra very pleasant, he also gave her a $100 tip!  (today using the Consumer Price Index that would equal $260)  Oh, and at that time not yet 21, she couldn't serve him or his staff so much as a glass of dinner wine -- the management gal had to do that.