Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Shot of Color



















23 days to "Official" Spring on March 21.  Eager? Nah.. not me... but that groundhog better be right in his prediction of an early spring... 

When auditioning color tone or value for a quilt, I stand back and look through binoculars held backwards -- it makes the design wall appear further away and gives a better sense of values & tones.  Have been doing this so long I don't even remember how I learned this trick.   

Squinting at the photo above to focus on values, my thought is a soft blue-grey (like the floor in the background) could work as well with the red of the carnations and the blue of the countertop as that old horse red-white-and-blue.   Left from Valentine's Day, those workhorse carnations still give a visual boost sorely needed.